Sunday, April 18, 2010

Moments in time


I recently spent some time with my three sons at a pow wow we attended and I realized how good it was to be with them again. It's been nearly a year since we traveled to a gathering anywhere and it felt really good, and it made me feel good that I was helping them get to their destination. Once they arrived they sang their first song and just when it was about to end some older male dancer came to fan the drum so the boys continued singing. Once those four rounds were done another dancer came to blow a whistle on the drum so they continue another four rounds and lastly another dancer came to fan the drum and the boys kept on singing. So it was good. The boys were happy. It's such an honour for them to be recognized and appreciated in the pow wow community like that, they strive to improve their drumming and singing all the time. They literally live by the drum. It's their driving force. The drum group has about 12 singers and they are from the ages of 15 to 26 years old. With my son being the 15 year old who is the lead singer, he has matured into a fine young man which makes me so proud. I idolized his drive, his spirit for living this way of life and many others look up to him as well. He's been drumming since he was 9 and he became lead singer when he was about 12 and he's constantly improved which I couldn't asked for more. I am blessed. Life is good. My sons will continue to travel to pow wows until they are old I think, they won't stop and that is a good thing. I just thought I'd share that~a personal story.

No comments: