Sunday, July 19, 2009

Native American healing


I recently attended a conference at a highschool where there was once a building that stood towerously for small native american children. Now the school is a highschool for northern native american teens, although it's use is far more greater today than what it originated as, it still stung a few of the people who attended the conference. Pelican Falls Indian Residential school has long been torn down, yet the memories this school created for students still remained alive. With over eighty grown adults, it filled the school gym in prayers, thoughts, songs and stories. A true healing experience. The anguish that some former students felt were, heartfelt. I couldn't imagine the horror that some students survived through, yet their stories are as important today because of the history behind it. We will never be treated like that ever again. As I walked through the school admiring the walls of past students of Pelican Falls First Nation Highschool, I thought of how far we've come as a nation. We have survived plenty, and we had much to be grateful for. The walls filled photos of the graduates of Pelican Falls Highschool, and I felt a moment of pride as I looked at each student's picture. It was truly remarkable. Since it's opening, Pelican Falls has had over forty graduates with diplomas. So we've come a long way from Residential school, our future is strong. I am touched by the resiliency of our people, as I move on in my own healing. Miigwetch!

No comments: