Saturday, November 27, 2010

The Effects of Residential School

I completed a three day event yesterday where people came together at a Residential School Gathering.  What I thought was going to be an event for me to witness, it became an event where I participated with my family on a healing journey.  It was a struggle and a lot of emotions were brought to the surface.  But the good thing about it was that, we were not alone.  Not anymore.  The strength that we were surrounded with filled the room and the atmosphere and we were untouchable by anything negative outside of it.  It was a powerful and moving experience, which was good.  It will always be a memory etched in my heart and my soul and I can take it with me wherever I go and that is a good thing.  The events that took place opened my eyes to realities that I never saw before and it has changed me into someone new.  You see the residential school syndrome still haunts our people today, including my own family, my children.  From what I witnessed I am forever changed.  My own son told his story and how the effects of what happened to him when he was small scarred him.  I looked at him and told him that he was brave for what he had done and so did other people.  There was no one who looked at him and told him that his story wasn't valid because everyone believed that the legacy that the effects of residential school still go on today.  The pain our childhood is valid and is as real as our hands in front of us and no one can take that away.  I say this because my son is 21 years old and has never been inside a residential school but he knows the pain that it has caused.  The intergenerational abuse is real and the stories that go along with that abuse is real.  We can't ignore this pain and we must acknowledge that the effects of what happened in our lives is a part of how our people learned to deal with their emotions, which was unhealthy.  The story my son told has changed me because of what I felt, I heard his heart and his soul in that room and I will never forget.  I believe that the journey that he takes from today will be one that will change him into the man that he wants to be in life.  The strength and courage that he showed yesterday created a new mark for his life, a better road to walk.  It's no longer a road that is dark and lonely but it's a road with light and love.  And even though he is still a bit afraid I know that he will trust the road and walk on it regardless of his fear.  His bravery will live on forever.

No comments: